#7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-18, 06:03

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Glenda - I have read Dr Bredesen's book. I do not believe he is selling snake oil. It appears as if his methods have got results for people. Is every detail of his protocol correct? Probably not but neither has he made things up out of thin air plus he has tried things out on real people using methods that can be replicated by others (assuming that they can get funded).

I just watched the video. He mentions not getting a study approved because his proposal changed too many variables, so nobody could be certain just what worked. Somehow this doesn't keep people from doing Mediterranean diet intervention studies. I think it's an apt criticism, but not a reason to not do a study. Same problem with Dr. Terry Wahls--even if her diet worked for every MS patient it was tried on, you could still say, well okay, but maybe it's just the ketogenic nature of the diet, maybe it's the polyphenols, etc. Same thing with Paleo in general. Is it what's left in, what's left out, the macronutrient or micronutrient profile? Change a bunch of stuff, and you might not know the details that make the approach successful, but you can find out whether the protocol as a whole has a predictable effect. So I'll criticize paleo when it comes to brass tacks of why it works sometimes, but still see merit in saying "this group did this and got this result, so that's what I'm going to do and hope for the same." Inuit or Kitivan, choose one, don't make sweet potato french fries with seal oil and assume that's okay.

The blogger who gives some details of the protocol, I find it a little funny that in supplements he includes amylase to help with resistant starch, a supplement to help you digest starch that you're hoping not to digest...