Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 07:14
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

On the subject of fats:
Quote:
Hydrogenation of organic substances was first developed by the French chemist Paul Sabatier in 1897, and in 1901 the German chemist Wilhelm Normann developed the hydrogenation of fats, which he patented in 1902. In 1907, a German chemist, Edwin Cuno Kayser, moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, the home town of soap manufacturer Procter & Gamble. He had worked for British soap manufacturer Joseph Crosfield and Sons and was well acquainted with Normann's process, as Crosfield and Sons owned the British rights to Normann's patent. Soon after arriving, Kayser made a business deal with Procter & Gamble, and presented the company with two processes to hydrogenate cottonseed oil, with the intent of creating a raw material for soap. Since the product looked like lard, Procter & Gamble instead began selling it as a vegetable fat for cooking purposes in June 1911, calling it "Crisco", a modification of the phrase "crystallized cottonseed oil".
When I entered Baking School, I was shocked to find that we were expected to use flaked crisco in all our pastries and "buttercream" frosting. It certainly takes the edge off enjoyment not to mention adding poison to an already deadly combination of ingredients. Lard really makes the flakiest pastry, but the diet police have made it practically illegal.

I don't know which fats are best for us health-wise, just that they add flavor to our existence and keep our bodies well-lubed. I keep butter, ghee, bacon fat, coconut oil and avocado oil in the house. Like everybody, I LOVE bacon and bacon grease, but sometimes worry about the additives so I don't use it every day.

Back to the subject of salmon. LOL (I tend to stray from the subject.) I found a can in my cupboard yesterday and ate it instead of my usual mackerel. It had almost no flavor at all. Guess I'll stick with mackerel for a while.