View Single Post
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 09:47

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Smile

Teri: In a stress management course that I took a few years ago they mentioned, as you did, to eliminate or at least limit the time you spend with the negative people around you. I have to say that is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It's easier to create space between yourself and a friend who is down on everything but when that negative person is a mother, a sister, a DH... that's another story. My hubby is wonderful in every way, but he tends to be negative first and then slowly accepts the positive. He says it's because he was raised to not expect too much (and his parents are that way). However, he at least recognizes it in himself and really works on it now.

--------

One tool that I learned in that same course is to change your negative thoughts into questions. Instead of saying "I am overweight" say "what can I do to change the fact that I am overweight?" Instead of "I am always broke" say "How can I make more money?" or "what can I change in my budget to allow for more money at the end of the month?" I think this is covered in the Conversations with God books as well. When you state a fact, negative or positive, you get what you state. When you ask a question, you open yourself up to a universe ready with answers.