Old Fri, Jul-10-15, 08:44

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Grass-fed does not mean that no weed killer was used on the grass.<...>

The beef I buy is 100% grass-fed and USDA Organic (I hate trusting the USDA but they are the only game in the grocery store).

Florida is a big beef state (second to Texas). And I see the farms and as an entertainer, I know some of the ranchers. No weed killer is sprayed around here, it would be a waste of money and increase the cost of raising the livestock. The cows eat the grass and the weeds. It's 'free food' for them.

Unfortunately, they get sent off to the feed lot at the end of their lives, where they gorge themselves on GMO, Round-up laced corn. This puts a lot of fat on the steers, which of course holds the cancerous Round-up, but by making the animal much heavier, it makes for more profit for the farmer.

Besides for the GMO corn, they are also injected with a lot of antibiotics and possibly hormones that can affect the end result (our dinner). I also avoid US dairy products unless I find they haven't been treated with rBGH hormones. Canadian, Australian and European cheese is OK as the artificial hormone is banned because it can cause breast and prostate cancer. Organic is also rBGH free.

Cows have eaten grass for millennia, corn for a few decades. I'll go with the tried and true.

I don't eat seedless grapes or seedless watermelon either - it just seems unnatural to me - but as a cultivar they aren't necessarily unhealthy. Although since I went low-carb back in 2000, I haven't bought any of either.

I avoid anything with corn (and it's derivatives), soy, cottonseed, canola, zucchini, yellow squash and a few others unless they are either organic or non-GMO. (Beet sugar is GMO too, but I don't do sugar).

The weeds have become resistant to Round-up (that's easier to type than glyphosate). So the crops need more Round-up to kill the super-weeds, which have become even more resistant so they need even higher tonnages of Round-up to kill the super-duper-weeds. All this means lots of profit for Monsanto, and lots of glyphosate (which the World Heath Organization says causes cancer) in your food.

65 countries and the WHO makes a strong statement that Monsanto might be "poisoning us for profit" and I'd rather not be the lab rat.

Besides for that, grass-fed beef actually tastes sweeter.

Again, I'm not ordering anyone else around. There is no need to defend your choice if it doesn't agree with me. I am looking out for my own good health, and so far, what I'm doing works for me, and I can't even say that it would work for everybody. But not missing a gig by calling in sick or any other reason since 1964 is a pretty good track record, one that not many others can brag about.

As far as I'm concerned, without good health, you have nothing. That makes health a very high priority for me.

YMMV

Bob