View Single Post
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 17:51

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Because we eased our way into low carb and then into Keto, I don't have an exact date to point to as our "start" date but Hubby and I will be completing 5 years sometime this February/March. And yes, I agree that THIS is a sound way of life.

In fact, I was thinking the other day that maybe DietDoctor needs to add a section to it's success stories... a section on "long-term success stories" that features people of any age who've been successfully living a low carb or ketogenic life for 5 years or more.

I mean, one of the things nay-sayers almost always say: "it might work okay in the short term but it's not sustainable! Or, "it's dangerous over the long term." Maybe it is time for some of us long-term sustainers to speak up and be heard. (yep, that's me trying to talk myself into sharing my story on dietdoctor. Is your's on there Rob? Jey? )

Long-term success could mean losing a significant amount of weight and keeping it off; or getting off of and/or staying off of diabetes medications; or vastly improving some other measurable health parameter and sustaining the improvement... whilst sticking with a low carb diet for the long term...5 years.

Obviously, for most of us, there are occasions when we don't completely adhere to our WOE. But, nobody ever says an "eat less move more" plan isn't sustainable just because folks who religiously follow such a plan STILL have the occasional day when they eat more than they should and sit around all day never breaking a sweat! And 5 years of longer of sticking with a low carb or ketogenic WOE 95% of the time without adverse effects ought to be proof enough that is IS sustainable and certainly not "inherently dangerous."