#20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 14:53

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangle
Our health care system is so complicated. I am fortunate to have Medicare and a supplemental plan from my employer (large school district) that I was able to carry into retirement. It has done a good job of covering my needs and medications.

However, both my husband, myself and my mother have been hospitalized in the past few years for surgeries or illness, and the paperwork can drown and confuse anyone. All of these doctors you have never heard of begin billing you directly and immediately, before Medicare and your supplemental insurance have had time to submit their payments. The average person might pay those bills rather than hold them for the months that it might take for all the insurance payments to pay out. Fortunately, my husband is used to working with this kind of thing, and he handled, arranged and organized all the billing statements and responded to the requests. My elderly mother would never had been able to maneuver or understand the billing (nor would I) and know that she should NOT pay until the insurance company had either paid or refused to pay an item. It was quite a job just to keep up with the multitude of bills and understand what is finally due.

I worry for people who are uneducated, elderly or disabled in some way that have no one to do this for them. My mother is 95 with some dementia. Thank goodness she has us to pay her bills, do her taxes and manage her medical care. What about those who have no one?

We've had the opposite experience with billing-it takes forever to get them in! With my dd's injury we'd think we were done and then another one would randomly come in the mail, ugh. It took around 6 months for everything to go through our insurance and then get to us/get added to our payment plan.

A few years ago my other dd had to have sinus surgery. We got a random anesthesiologist bill 9 months after the fact

I do a lot of online tracking now for our medical stuff. I can see in real time in our medical insurance patient portal, as things are processed/what we owe. We have the option to pay any balances directly through the site, or we can wait for a paper bill to come in the mail. Our old HSA had a fantastic website/patient portal attached to it, and our new HSA is set up directly through our bank, so I can look at our account anytime online or just go into a bank branch if I have any questions.

Our dental insurance also has an online patient portal, as does my primary care doctor and my kid's pediatrician and then orthodontist office. When we had the hospital payment plan set up they also had a pretty nice website that I used to get current balances, a breakdown of costs, pay our monthly payment etc. My husband's doctor is the only medical provider that we use, that's still old school and if we have a bill/question, I have to go in and talk to them in person.