View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-19, 21:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Teaser: Equating sugar with cocaine is fun, but also risks giving fuel to people who already want to burn down the low-carb bandwagon.

Quote:
Calianna: I'm not sure I understand this. If we equate the addictive qualities of sugar to the addictive and destructive qualities of cocaine, I would think that in the interest of not increasing the number of addictions and the number of addicts, it would give reason to promote LC, instead of continually pushing for more and more carb consumption, creating more and more carb addicts.

I had a longer version of this but it got mucky. Basically--we say, sugar, like cocaine is addictive. And then people act as if we are conflating sugar with cocaine. Or if we take a broader view and look at food consumption as addictive versus cocaine--put it that way and the thing we are addicted to is what sustains life (food not cocaine of course). Cocaine is harmful, sugar can be harmful (and probably usually is, at least the way we use it), but they're harmful in different ways. We aren't saying that if you're going to eat a candy bar, you might as well go snort some coke and be done with it. But sometimes people act like that is what we're saying. It's sort of like calories in calories out where sometimes people act like if you don't think that's the place to concentrate, you don't actually believe in calorie deficits. When meanwhile it's more like we're saying that the calorie deficit isn't best taken head-on.