#14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 04:18

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I'm not sure if anyone before 30 years ago ate whole grains except for farm animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDawn
Huh, that would be interesting! I'll have to look into that some more and find out when whole grains became a 'thing'

I remember the more hippie-dippy types talking about eating whole grains back in the 60's. Granola was introduced to a lot of teens/twenty-somethings back in '69 at Woodstock. (there wasn't enough food available to feed the hundreds of thousands who showed up once it became a free concert - a local farm commune in the area offered very small cups of granola for free to anyone who was hungry, telling the recipients "It's not much, but it's really good." I had a real jaw-dropping moment when I saw that in the Woodstock documentary a few years ago.)

I remember a lot more talk about whole grains in the mid to late 70's. More and more people were starting to talk about how good it was for you to eat things that were "whole grain-y" by the early 80's. So it's actually getting close to 40 years since the whole grain movement really took off.