Old Sun, Jul-06-08, 13:27

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Exactly how I found it.
I've achieved my target and all I have done is relax the low alcohol rule and this was a mistake. Had a long weekend helping relatives move house so sandwiches, beer, chips and rice all featured in my downfall and the result was some weight gain. Only a couple of pounds so will be back to target weight next week.

But I'll be interested to hear other suggestions as I don't want to go back to being overweight but it would be nice to have a drink more regularly.

What I found surprising, having more or less given up booze for the last 20 weeks, was how quickly one beer led to another and another. It's very easy, when you are in company and you've been working hard together, not to join in with what everyone else is doing.
I think fruit and beans is a more sensible introduction than reintroducing beer, bread and chips, so when I've got back to 160lbs, I'll maybe join you to start with a little more fruit and more beans.

I'm chipping in here because the Barry Groves' plan is very similar to the one you're following and also because I can really empathise with the beer problem!!!

I live in Germany and the beer is very good, unfortunately... My husband is one of those awful people who can "nurse" a half-pint of beer all night, whereas I seem to have inherited my dad's ability to swill down the stuff at a much faster rate... and consume much larger amounts. So we have beer in the house because he can drink 2 wee bottles of Czech Budweiser and it lasts him all night. I get through one of those in about fifteen minutes.

The only thing that works for me is to stay teetotal. Alcohol is a very addictive substance for me and as soon as I start drinking it again, I am almost instantly re-addicted. However, I have found a substitute which is an alcoholic drink which is also good for you!!! It's kombucha and I have found a high-quality version in a local health-food store. I am planning to make my own after I return from our summer holiday in the UK.

My other recent discovery is that, in my case at least, if I add more "enzyme-rich" foods and/or beverages to my diet, I can eat more carbs. Kombucha is one of those things, but I've also tried out probiotic yoghurt, lacto-fermented sauerkraut juice (interesting, but it grows on you) and drinking a concoction of apple cider vinegar, water and raw honey before meals (2 tbsp). I have also noticed over the past four weeks or so that even though I had drunk beer more often (dratted football!), the weight gain wasn't as drastic as I had expected. I "blame" it on the extra enzymes!!! Kombucha is a particularly good one because it detoxes your liver as well via its high quantities of glucoronic acid.

So, my conclusion would be, that if you were to introduce some enzyme-rich foods/beverages - or even some kind of supplements - then you might be able to tolerate more beer without the risk of instant weight gain.

It's worth a try, and the enzymes and lacto-bacillus jobbies can't do you any harm!

amanda

p.s. I really am going to take D3 as from November onwards. I have no idea if they do testing over here, though. But from what you write, I can't really OD on it anyway?