View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-19, 17:56

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

When I was very, very new to lc & still unsure what a diabetic should eat, I ended up in the hospital for an operation. The operation was a success, but the "diabetic" food I got was terrible! Even then I was pretty sure a diabetic shouldn't be eating creamed chicken over noodles. At least I was out of there the next day, so I didn't eat too many of their meals.

Last year I had day surgery & asked specifically about the IV - they said they never use the glucose one unless it is medically necessary. What I didn't know was how sick I was going to be when I woke up. They gave me commercial applesauce (which I loathe) so there would be something in my stomach when I started throwing up. Later, I was happy to have the soda crackers. They came up again pretty quickly, so I don't think the carbs mattered much.

It's hard to know what questions to ask before ending up in the hospital, even more so if it's an emergency hospitalization. Ideally, there would be a family member who has your back, but in my case, my husband means well, but doesn't really understand low carb. I think in the future I might ask my daughter to come visit. She's pretty good at understanding lc, even if she does lean toward vegetarianism. I love her anyway.