View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-19, 10:31

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%
Default Hospital Staff (rant)

I was hospitalized recently, in an (unsuccessful) attempt to diagnose some neurologial weirdness I have going on.

My chart showed my "Diabetic" diagnosis.

I "confessed" to the diabetes, as well, when asked, and said I did not take medication but was sucessfully controlling with diet.

And so some doc who I never even met ordered insulin for me, and put me on a "Diabetic consistent carb" diet.

*pounds head into wall*

I had a nurse actually insist he was going to give me insulin... my last BG reading was 86. And he wanted to give me insulin. (I demanded, at that point, to know the name of the doctor who ordered it, and then told him to get a malpractice attorney sent to my room so I could begin pressing charges. The nurse fled, and was replaced with someone competent.)

And the food... Pudding! Fruit-cups! Juice! Bread! Some ground-beef and gravy mixture over rice. "Please take this away. There is literally nothing on this tray I can eat."

*sigh*

They wound up replacing bricks-for-brains boy with the head nurse of the floor, who was competent, understood that with my A1C reading of 5.2, I obviously knew what I was doing, and arranged for me to have whatever food I would eat, in exchange for finger-pricks. ("Measure my levels as often as you like. Just don't try to give me insulin, when I'm reading in the normal range! I don't take insulin. And I won't leave 'normal'.")

(Though I still had someone wake me up in the middle of the night to try to feed me graham crackers.)

Head-nurse guy became my staunch ally... he "had my back". But dear lord, why these hosptial staff gotta try to put me in the hospital????

At breakfast (reunited with my 14 & 12 year old) this morning, discussed the frustration of the hosptial over my Greek Omelet (hold the tomato, add sausage, no sides, thanks!) (Best food I've had in days!!) , and the youngest was asking WHY.

What a fun conversation, explaining that drug companies only make cash when they sell drugs, and there's no money in people who control the condition by fixing their diet. (Yes, there is much sarcasm in this post)

But I think I've learned some lessons, here:

* If possible, lie to hospital staff about being diabetic.
* If not possible, demand an on-the-spot A1C. Refer back to that test-result constantly. (Me being able to tell -- blind -- that it was in the "normal, non-diabetic" range carried a lot of weight with my one ally.)

So frustrated, and this board is one of the few places where I know folks would understand... I've worked hard to get my levels this stable. Don't need my hard-work un-done!
Sponsored Links