Old Thu, Sep-09-10, 03:14
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

From the above study we see
Quote:
The treatment group received oral TrioBe Plus® (Meda AB/Recip AB, Box 906, Pipers väg 2A, SE-170 09 Solna, Sweden) containing 0.8 mg folic acid, 0.5 mg cyanocobalamin and 20 mg pyridoxine HCl,

I've only done a quick google search and can't find a source for that particular blend.

However this selection is similar.

Now Foods, B-6 Pyridoxine HCl, 50 mg, 100 Tablets
Quote:
Because the half-life of pyridoxine is 15-20 days and it is not significantly bound to plasma proteins, and the limited stores may be depleted within two to six weeks on a pyridoxin-free diet, a daily supply is required. Excess pyridoxine is excreted in the urine.

Now Foods, Methyl B-12, 1000 mcg, 100 Lozenges

This form of B12 is regarded as the best absorbed and therefore an improvement on the type used in the study.
It is double the amount used more about
More about Vitamin B12 here from which you see
Quote:
Safety

Large intakes of vitamin B12 from food or supplements have caused no toxicity in healthy people. No adverse effects have been reported from single oral doses as high as 100 mg and chronic administration of 1 mg (500 times the RDA) weekly for up to 5 years. Moreover, there have been no reports of carcinogenic or mutagenic properties, and studies to date indicate no teratogenic potential. The main food safety authorities have not set a tolerable upper intake level (UL) for vitamin B12 because of its low toxicity.

Now Foods, Folic Acid with Vitamin B-12, 800 mcg, 250 Tablets
The B12 in this form while the same as in the study (but just half the study amount) is not well absorbed so taking one of the above Methyl B-12 once weekly will make up the deficit and be more likely to be used.
More on Folic acid
This is exactly as used in the study.
The links provided to examples go to IHERB because their shipping to UK is cheapest.The total cost is $14.94 and that provides a longer supply than using a Vitamin B complex and I haven't actually (only spent a short time searching) found an exact equivalent Vit B complex to match the study. Introductory code ~~~~~~ saves $5 at IHERB.

Don't forget this isn't to say that correcting vitamin D, omega 3 and magnesium deficiency status won't also improve brain function as all three work as anti inflammatory agents in the brain. So please don't take the results of this study to ditch those and convert to vitamin B complex alone.
Mercola has a reasonable article on strategies to reduce Alzheimer risk so you can cover all options.

Edit:
I should perhaps add that those study participants who prior to and during the study, used a multivitamin, showed no change from the extra provided during the study, so, if you are already taking a multivitamin adding the above may not make any difference at all. However note the difference between the form B12 used and the one I suggest. That may make a difference.