View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-09-20, 11:21
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was amused and frustrated by her tone of making animal fat basically sound dangerous. A "sometimes food?" No wonder Dr Aseem Malhotra is on the absolute war path over there.

Nonetheless... a not-terrible primer on rendering fat. It's so much easier than you'd think. It's actually even easier than she describes: it's not just seeking out raw animal skin and fat; it can be as simple as saving scraps, isolating the fat, then gently cooking out the water. Example: any time I make broth, I'll chill it, peel any solid fat off, and render it. It's usually smaller quantities, so I do use the stove top. I prefer being able to watch for the water bubbles to stop. I usually do it while I'm already doing something else in the kitchen.

...and if you think you're going to use it fairly quickly, don't even bother rendering it. Just pop it in the fridge. I'm thinking sausage grease, roasted chicken juices/fat, etc. Throw it in your next quiche or pot of soup.

For smaller quantities like I usually do, a stainless steel coffee filter is excellent for filtering. Mine fits onto ramekins.

Take-home message: don't waste perfectly-good fats.