#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-01, 15:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up

I've been playing around with my version of Atkins Revolution rolls .. http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread108.html .. Came up with a decent whole grain-like bun, that rises higher than the original Atkins' (and stays puffed on cooling), has a nice "cracked wheat" texture, slices in half (for burgers) without disintegrating, and very nice flavour, not so eggy.

They've turned out successfully for me and a friendly tester (thanks Sharon .. )

Doreen's Multi-grain Revolution Rolls

3 eggs, room temperature, separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 Tbsp ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp soy flour
1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
3 Tbsp wheat bran
2 Tbsp flax meal
1 tsp baking powder
2 - 3 Tbsp water
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Preheat oven to 500 F.
- Sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites, set aside.
- Blend yolks, ricotta, soy flour, vital wheat gluten, bran and flax meal. Add a couple Tbsp water to "lighten" the batter a little, then stir in baking powder.
- Beat egg whites till stiff, then gently and quickly fold in the yolk mixture. Don't worry if there are a few streaks of white ... you don't want to break down the fluffy whites and end up with runny batter.
- Make 6 buns by mounding spoonfuls of the mixture on top of one another..... on a greased baking sheet
- Place in hot oven; immediately reduce heat to 300 F. Bake for 20 min. Then, reduce heat to 250 F and bake for another 20 min. Buns should be glossy, golden and firm to touch.
- Cool on a rack completely, before storing in airtight container.

total carbs - 20.7, fiber - 10.5

per bun - 3.5 carbs, 1.8 fiber (1.7 effective carbs)

ENJOY!! ..

[Edited by doreen T on 24-02-01 at 16:57]
Sponsored Links