#153   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 05:32

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Hi, my name is Glenda and I'm a bonafide turtle. This July I'll be 70. I've been off and on Atkins since 1972 and I believe that kept me from getting diabetes.
I've been ON for the past 5 years and holding at the same weight as when I started.

Last January I started researching all the things I could give up in order to lose weight on HFLC/Atkins.

I gave up caffeine - no improvement
I gave up diet sodas - no
I gave up aspartame - no
I gave up my one prescription drug (HRT) - no
In desperation, I started to exercise. Since May, I've walked between 2.5 and 5 miles every day. - NOTHING HAPPENED.

So I put back my caffeine and the other things and this is where I stand now.

I'm still walking.
My HRT is down to .5mg per day. No other prescription meds.
I cut my dairy to the cream in my one mug of coffee per day, but sometimes I eat hard cheese.
No more peanut butter, but I do still eat nuts.
I eat dill pickles, onion, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, 3 different AS, 1 diet soda per day. Tuna, tilapia, chicken, steak, eggs. Butter, mayo, herbs and spices. One raw apple per day (I discovered this protected me from GERD).
I take 2 tbls. of psyllium husks every day for added fiber.
I drink a LOT of water.

I welcome comments, especially if you spot something you think I can omit from my diet which might help me lose. I've cut so many things that I don't know if I can give up any more, but my mind is open.

Welcome aboard. I found that in my 70's, I could not rely on just cutting down on carbs to lose, I had to cut way back on amounts as well. I was still eating too much even if it was primarily protein and fat. I now have to be very careful of calories as well. When I faithfully document everything I have had to eat and drink a day in my DietPower computer program, I can track where my issues are.

For example, nuts are a very high calorie food and can only be eaten in limited amounts and not every day. You might do well to eliminate them for a while. . Although they are primarily protein and fat, they do contain carbs. Some people see their blood sugar rise from drinking diet drinks so try to eliminate them completely. If you are on a prescription drug, you probably should stay on it and work around its side effects rather than just stop taking it. Will anything besides the apple stop the gerd? Can you live without cream in your coffee--some people find dairy stalls them.

These are just a few top of my head thoughts. I am now in my 80's and find my life as a turtle no longer as frustrating. I do wonder if I have reached my set-point (an old theory). I did lose 80 pounds in my 70's but that was on a very strict <20 grams carb and <1500 calories a day.

Since your body will react differently to LCHF than mine, I suggest you start some very careful tracking of everything you eat and drink after weighing and measuring and enter it into a computer program that will calculate exactly what you ate and how your body responded. Since you are a long term low carber, your body is well adjusted to a low carb life--now is the time to tweak. And tweaking takes a lot of time to show results.

From one elderly turtle to another--good luck.