View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 11:27

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

That's the stuff Thud! Wow, gallon size...I could eat it like soup I suppose!

You are in the correct range on the chili’s, my factor was for 1/4lb which I was high at 130 grams, its actually 113.4 grams (I always rounded up to 30 grams for ounces 28.4 grams…I won’t even go in to how I readily know this in my head). Garlic has some real carbs too. I was just pulling quickly from whatever web site came on up the nutrition facts. Also, the sauce has salt and vinegar in it, so the entire weight is not chili's and garlic. It's likely less in carbs per volume or weight than if calculating pure chili's and garlic. I have a recipe for a homemade version, I should be able to calculate that closely (see below)

The deeper question is what Meme wrote, I wonder what 0 grams per tsp actually is. If they are able to say 0 grams because the "serving size" is less than 1 whole gram, then who knows the larger volume facts...they aren't telling us. And how sneaky of them to pick a tsp. serving size, probably becasue that's the size that they can list as ZERO! Meme was spot on about zero not being "zero", we know its not free food...I just got excited and out over my skis

The Hoy Fong Web site is maddening. A bunch of flash and flare and junk with little real info we are looking for. I called them, and they are useless on the subject on the phone. They told me to email customer service, which I did. I’ll report back if and what reply I get from them.

That big jug still has the same tsp serving size on it as the smaller jars . I found it on amazon. 136oz for $31.26. How does that compare to the price you are paying Thud?

Using 1 tsp as a serving (5 grams).

Using this web site's data:

https://your-calories.com/chili-peppers

There are 7.64 net carbs per 100 grams in chili peppers

https://your-calories.com/garlic

About 31 net grams carbs per 100 grams in garlic

But let’s, just for fun, calculate as a homemade version. I removed the sugar from this recipe:

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/...li-garlic-sauce

Which references itself to this very Hoy Fong product we are discussing.

Using the data from those two links above for the chili’s and garlic, then figuring the weight of the vinegar (regular white vinegar) and the salt, here’s my calculations if using this homemade recipe (Omitting the sugar for low carb)

4 ounces spicy chili peppers=113.4 grams= 8.66 grams net carbs

4- cloves of garlic= I’ll call that 12 grams based on the link I provide above. It aggravates me when people do recipes with those kinds of measurements. Garlic cloves can vary widely by size. Anyway…
Garlic, 12 grams= 3.72 grams carbs net carbs

2 tbls or 1/8 cup vinegar is 29.75 grams weight

1 tsp salt=I use Morton’s Kosher Salt 62 grams per ¼ cup=1.29 grams per tsp
*I used 1 tsp. The recipe says "to taste". Your mileage may vary

156.4 grams total weight
12.38 grams total net carbs
=.079 grams carbs per gram weight x 5 grams/teaspoon (according to Hoy Fong label 5g=1 tsp)
=.4 grams carbs per teaspoon/5 grams of this homemade chili garlic sauce recipe.

I happen to have a precision scale and I tare’d a weight on the Sambal sauce I have open right now (Also Hoy Fung, basically the same thing as the chili garlic sauce but without the garlic (which would theoretically be less carbs), and it does in fact weigh real close to 5 grams per teaspoon. The way I use a teaspoon, it's more like 7 grams! But I scraped off just a bit of the sauce so the level was just below the edge of my high quality measuring spoons and it was like 5.2 grams…but even thought this is complex math to some…I’m not splitting milligrams!

So, if I’ve done my math right, and this recipe is anywhere close to what the Hoy Fong product is, that’s about 1.2 carbs per tablespoon…or 1.5 the way I measure stuff!

So at least if we find out Hoy Fong is hiding some bad carb mojo in their packaging label, we know we have a homemade recipe we should be able to trust!

I’ll report back on any results from my customer service request to Hoy Fong