View Single Post
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 14:29

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%
Default Coconut Cake

I made this cake yesterday and I think it's exceptionally good. I used toasted unsweetened coconut (from King Arthur Flour), toasted almond flour (also from KAF) and four tablespoons of powdered erythritol. The recipe calls for three tablespoons of sweetener, but that would be barely sweet. Even with four it's lightly sweet.

If you make it, line the base of the springform with parchment in addition to greasing the pan.

link to recipe for coconut cake

Coconut Cake

Ingredients

* 1 cup egg whites (approximately 8 eggs, or use Just Whites)
* 1 tablespoon ThickenThin not/Sugar thickener
* Sweetener equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar
* Pinch salt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 3/4 cups dried unsweetened coconut
* 1/4 cup ground blanched almonds

Directions

Makes 16 servings.

Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8-9 inch springform pan.

1. Beat egg whites with ThickenThin not/Sugar thickener, sweetener and vanilla until stiff. Fold in remaining ingredients as gently as possible.

2. Place in preheated oven, turn off heat and leave to bake overnight.

Note: ovens vary in the rate at which they lose heat so, if it comes out too moist, give it more time at no more than 300°F and next time, allow it to bake for a few minutes before turning off the oven.

If you want a smooth-textured cake like a birthday cake, use the finest-ground unsweetened coconut you can find, or run it through a food processor or blender; it will work even if it feels wet. Coarser flakes makes something more like a coffee or snack cake.

Store under refrigeration.

Nutrition

Nutrition* (per serving, as calculated by Mastercook): 66 calories; 6g fat; 2g carb (of which 1.5g is fiber); 3g protein.

*based on no-calorie sweetener