View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 21:48
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Tomorrow I will be interviewed by staff of the Diabetes Remission Project as mentioned HERE a news story on Dietdoctor.com.

Searching around the web on the topic of diabetes remission I ran across this article on the ADA website regarding a 2014 study...

Quote:
Why did the researchers do this particular study?

The researchers wanted to learn more about how often diabetes remission happens and what factors might make it more or less likely.

Who was studied?

The study included more than 120,000 adults with type 2 diabetes who received medical care from a large health care system in northern California. The members of this health system are similar to the general population in terms of their racial and ethnic backgrounds and financial circumstances. None of the participants in the study had weight loss surgery.

How was the study done?

The researchers looked at 7 years of medical records of patients in the health care system who had diabetes and counted how many of them had partial, complete, or prolonged remission based on their A1C levels as defined by the ADA. They then looked to see if any specific traits were more common in people who had a remission.

What did the researchers find?

Over 7 years, 1.47 percent of the entire group had a partial remission, 0.14 percent had a complete remission, and 0.007 percent had a prolonged remission. Overall, 1.60 percent of the entire group (4.6 percent of those who had been diagnosed for less than 2 years) had some sort of remission. People who were older than 65 years of age, were African American, had been diagnosed for less than 2 years, had an A1C of less than 5.7 percent at the start of the study period, or were taking no diabetes medicines at the start of the study period were more likely to have a remission.

Type 2 Diabetes Remission Without Surgery Does Happen—But Very Rarely

FYI: There is a link to the study in question in the full article at the link above.

My A1c scores at my last 5 annual checkups:

March 2014: 6.7 (Diabetic) - June 2014 6.0 (pre-diabetic)
March 2015: 5.1 (Normal)
March 2016: 5.3 (Normal)
March 2017: 5.4 (Normal)
March 2018: 5.1 (Normal)

I guess that I would fall into the rare group of .14% that has shown complete remission. If I make it just a year or two more I'll qualify as an example of the extremely, ultra rare .007% who exhibit prolonged complete remission. Dang, I should buy a lottery ticket.

The "achieved remission" results of the Virta Health study blow those figures away. I saw that Dr. Sarah Hallberg posted the detailed results of the Year One results of their study as her submission to the food guidelines public comment request. Let's hope that those folks in DC are paying attention this year. The winds of change are a blowin'