View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 21:16
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I will. When I first found out that my LDL had gone crazy high, I did a lot of web searching to see if I could figure out what was going on. I'd read that weight loss alone can cause numbers to go all over the place and that being weight stable for at least 4 weeks will provide a much clearer picture of what your long-term numbers really are. I'd read that a healing fatty liver will increase LDL (I had liver inflamation). I read that people with eating disorders (anorexia and bulimia) can have very high LDL.

I also found many forum posts where alarmed people posted a similarly high LDL result looking for answers. Unfortunately, most were newbies and they never provided a followup to let people know if they figured out what was going on. I did notice one thing that many of them had in common. They were pushing hard with the diet and exercise. It occured to me that I had been doing that in the months prior to my last labs. I broke my foot in December and that put an end to my regular walking routine. So I really cut down on the eating to keep the weight loss coming. As my foot healed, I got back into my walking routine - exceeding 20+ miles walking per week by the time March rolled around -- but I had kept my eating the same (1700 to 1800 calories and < 30 net carbs). Last June - when my cholesterol numbers were very much better -- I was eating closer to 3000 calories a day and walking just a couple of miles a week. I thought that maybe I was pushing too hard. That is why I formulated a plan to back off a bit and slow the weight loss some. I still walk 20 to 25 miles per week, but I eat a lot more now. In June, I'll eat just a bit more to slow the weight loss even more. At the end of June, I will be retested. If my LDL is down -- and I suspect that it will be, then I will be satisfied that it was the hard-pressed weight loss that was behind the craziness.

As alarming as that number may appear, I'm not convinced that it is dangerous. I've always thought the cholesterol thing was some sort of a scam. Now - even 30 years later, you don't hear about any statistics that tout cholesterol lowering drugs as life savers. All you hear about is how they have been proven to lower those choloesterol numbers. With so many people taking these drugs for so many years, you'd think that they'd have hard evidence by now that these drugs actually do some good. If these drugs actually do help prevent heart disease, that is. I suspect that there is no evidence because these drugs don't do squat in preventing heart disease.

Me losing 170 pound with this WOE, me walking regularly and me not eating sugar & starch is me doing the best things I can be doing to prevent a heart attack. But I know if I don't get that LDL number down, my Doc will likely recommend statins. I won't take them, but I hope it never becomes an issue. If my experiment works, I should be able to show my doctor that it is the weight loss and that we just need to see this through to the end.