Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 18:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default bread

Hope you don't mind I offer my 2¢

I personally don't eat breads or grains due to allergy / intolerance. But for other persons following the various low-carb programs, breads and grains may or may not fit in with their choices.

I just looked in my copy of Protein Power, the original version, and "light bread" appears occasionally in the daily menus. Atkins suggests Wasa or other high-fiber crispbreads now and then, in later stages of his program. So, as long as it fits into a person's individual daily carb limits, then fine. But I do think if you're following Atkins Induction, especially if you've been previously eating a high-flour/bread/pasta diet ... then you MUST follow the program as written and budget those 20g carbs for low-glycemic veggies and salads, and also count the carbs in cheese, cream and eggs. Part of it is the detoxing and cleansing ... and part of it is to break the addiction cycle, and dependence on processed grain foods. Most people crave bread, not a serving of steamed whole wheat kernels .. ... There's the element of portion control too. For many, many low-carbers ... bread, bagels, muffins etc ... trigger cravings beyond belief. Others who are able to stop with just one piece .... my hats off to you!!

Many people individualize their program to fit food likes and dislikes .. for me, I love fruit ... and so sometimes I'll budget in 1 or 2 servings a week ... grapefruit, kiwis, fresh or frozen berries (ah, now I want a grapefruit -- haven't had any fruit for over a month).

The appearance of more and more reduced-carb foods on the store shelves is both a blessing and a curse. They provide a nice change for those who want more variety in their menu, but they pose the risk of just perpetuating the cravings and addictions that led to the weight problems in the first place. ... In addition, these low-carb products such as bread aren't commonly available. For the average person living in a small town ... there's white or whole wheat at 12g per slice. Period.

Doreen