View Single Post
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-19, 19:19

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I know this is an old post, but if you're still looking for suggestions...

Rather than trying to remove options such as the cookies, etc., maybe there's something you can do to help increase availability of other items. As a couple of people have pointed out, it can be challenging for food pantries to get and make fresh fruit and veg available before it spoils.

For a number of years in my area a couple of people organized a seasonal weekly fresh fruit and veg pick-up from local churches and delivered it to our local food bank. People would bring in their contributions like the extras from their CSA boxes or the abundance of zucchini from their own gardens, etc. and leave the donations in the lobbies of their churches. Then a couple people from the organization would drive around to all the churches and do a quiet grab as services were going on. Someone I knew had been one of the founders and she said it was her way of living out her faith on Sunday mornings, since she wasn't much of a pew sitter. :-) For a long time the whole operation was just two women and a mini-van.

PS--Many people who come to the food pantry may also get food stamps, and what you see them choosing at the pantry may not be all of their groceries. They may use their food stamps for more fresh items like fruit, veg, milk, etc. that isn't available at the pantry.