Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 17:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlinda
Hello Karen, I've used a number of your recipes since finding this site and have found most quick, easy and (of course) delicious. My question concerns the ingredients for the New York Style Cheese Cake with Brazil But Crust: why do you ask for Splenda AND Sugar Twin for the sugar substitute? Would it be OK if I were to double the quantity of Splenda (not keen on the aftertaste with Sugar Twin)? Thanks, this looks like just the kind of "snack" to treat myself with.

Hi there, and welcome! It's a been a while since Karen has posted, but I can answer your question about the sweeteners.

Using two different sweeteners does two things: it doubles the sweetening power, and also dramatically improves the taste. So yes, you can use Splenda alone, but if you do so, you'd need 4 times as much, ie 20 tablespoons in that recipe. Do you have access to xylitol or erythritol? I personally use half Splenda and half xylitol when I need a sweetener, and the taste is vastly better than using either sweetener alone.

Here is an earlier thread about Karen's New York cheesecake that may help answer further questions. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=36445

ETA: Maybe not 4 times... From Karen in the linked thread:
Quote:
Quote:
Can I use all Splenda?

Yes you can. Start with 1/2 cup and increase it to taste.

Karen