View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 12:11

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi Rusty!

I have not been ignoring your post. Just have not...and still don't...have time or tools to debate it properly.

For now let's say that I agree with a great deal of what you have to say. I see society trying to 'homogenize' into a one size fits all plan that encompasses everything from income levels to life styles. That includes a trend for all societies of the world to consume the same foodstuffs (McDonalds, Starbucks), wear the same style clothing (Levi, Nike) and end up suffering from the same diseases (heart disease, obesity). Many of those societies had long standing records of low levels of heart disease until including white flour and white sugar in above normal levels...for them...and now their levels of heart disease are rapidly increasing. However, all of these socities were not bread/rice based diets. The eskimos and Africans come to mind with their primarily meat/fat based diets. The end result of changing historical diet remains the same for both, however. Increased disease.

Now, is that an allergic reaction? Maybe not technically in the purely medical sense as you so rightly pointed out. But what should we call it? I think people have chosen the word 'allergy' because it best describes their bodies reactions to this change. Ingesting those items (and MANY others..those are just for example)...cause adverse physical reactions in the body just like pure allergens do. Not the same adverse reactions, mind you, but adverse all the same. I don't begrudge them that word even though it might be technically incorrect.

I agree with you also that too much has been done to sanitize our surroundings. Being exposed to things is how we develop immunities. An example. My cousin was an only, highly over protected child who was NEVER allowed to have dirt anywhere NEAR her...not just ON her. AT the age of 9 she developed a simple case of childrens red measles. We all had it. Those of us who daily played in the dirt fought it off easily. Not so cousin Caroline. She became gravely ill and ended up dying from it and her doctor told my aunt and uncle that it was primarily because they had 'kept her too clean'. So, I have no trouble agreeing with that portion of your post.

Do we spend too much time 'inspecting every nuance' of our diet/bodies/lives? Absolutely true. I think this is caused a great deal by the 'diet dictocrats' who each have a point of view they want us to buy into so they can sell their books and get rich. Too many of us have been programmed to believe every single word these 'experts' expound instead of using the common sense the Lord instilled in us to make wise choices for ourselves based on our own bodies.

And let's not forget all of the 'scientific' studies we are asked to believe that are funded by organizations and industries that stand to gain financially if we buy into the latest scare tactic. I never just accept a medical study any more without questioning who funded the danged thing!

I fear that you will find me a very poor opponent for a decent debate based on our obvious educational differences. You, kind sir, appear to be a highly educated person, while I am a lowly high school drop out mother and grandmother. I'll do my best to keep you honest in you 'generalities, but encourage others to jump in here with their opinions also. I have found it difficult to gather my thoughts into a disciplined manner since my heart surgery. Too often I think of what I wanted to say abotu 3 days too late!

Have a terrific, healthy low carb day!
Nance