View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 06:17

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default I am fit and fifty five

There is a common misconception that if you are over fifty, you are over the hill and must be falling apart. Au contraire.

The only health issue I used to have pre LC was that my BP was a bit high (now normal range). Before I started an LC regimen I knew intellectually that my weight was a concern yet in myself I did not feel unwell or particularly unfit. In many ways I did not think that my size was a health issue at all

I am now 18 months into LC and 40 lbs lighter. It is now possible for me to say that I have never been fitter than I am now and in hindsight was perhaps overstating my general fitness before.

I can now run up stairs, cycle into town (but only if the car is in for service!), take a 10 mile walk(why do I only do this on holidays it is actually quite enjoyable especially along a stunning coastal path),climb hills, and play golf all day if Mrs R. would let me

Maybe it is the grey hairs, maybe the wisdom of age, that lets us "TOFFS" look at the the way we are and our health with a more balanced view. I worry sometimes reading posts on this forum that for some there is a preoccupation with food, odd concerns over alleged allergies, microscopic analysis of minor fluctuations in the body, and a tendency to ascribe every ailment under the sun to something that ate the day before!.

I liken this to what I call the Scrooge Syndrome. You will recall that Scrooge was visited by the ghost of Jacob Marley. The Ghost says "you don't believe in me". " Why do you doubt your senses?"

Scrooge answers " Because a little thing affects them. A slight disorder of the stomach makes them cheats. You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. There's more of gravy than grave about you, whatever you are!"...A classic line.

My point is that what ever you eat, LC or not, whatever pills you pop, however much water you drink you are not immune to the variety of common ailments that we all get. The cure for most things is time. Be it constipation, the common cold, reflux, headaches, sprains, infections,spots. You name it and the cure for most things is... leave it alone and it will go away. It is impossible generally to micro manage the body. It gets on very well all by itself.

As for people describing mood swings, lethargy, withdrawal symptoms from non narcotic substances such as bread and potato. I smile a wry smile.

However I do put my current fitness down to my losing of weight. The loss of weight would not have been possible without an LC program. For that I give thanks. So if there are others out there who are fit and fifty. Stand up and be counted.
Sponsored Links