View Single Post
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-13, 18:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/230/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 55%

I suppose if you are already lean and in great athletic shape (i.e, you are already a high performance marathon/triathalete...whatever) you can get away with a higher carb intake. Dr. Atkins and Phinny/Volek discuss the idea that exercise reduces insulin resistance. If you are like me (and many other readers of this forum) you are still attempting to correct years of damage from eating too much sugar and you are not in the position to "tinker" with your carb intake.

I love reading Mark Sisson and his teaching have influenced my food choices. particularly in that I have a strong preference for quality foods, over just low carb foods. i don't buy Atkins bars (are they even available any more?) or processed foods and most foods i eat have one ingredient in them.

BUT...I dont' think he's ever been more than 10# over weight and is probably not dealing with the insulin resistance that a lot of us are. he was an elite athelete for years BEFORE he started his primal movement. His own experience is that he can eat a sweet potato before/after exercising and it "replaces his lost glycogen." My person experience is, I'm better off taking a day off the bike to recover, than eating that potato.

My 9 day ride through the Blue Ridge Mountains last summer did not include any days off, nor carbing up after a ride. I did consume macadamias along the way, which are a source of carbs, but I was still counting and kept the intake below 50g a day. I'm just not conviced that you need them.

Goog