Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 09:31
Registered Member

Plan: Carb. Addicts
Stats: 185/190/170 Male 5' 10"
BF:21%
Progress: -33%
Default Vilicia and Yvonne326

Dear Vilicia and Yvonne326,

Glad to hear you are both staying with it so well. You both sound very determined. If you don't mind, and can sit through a little more, I'd like to play fun with math again.

Vilicia: At 285# and maybe 50% bodyfat, you probably need at least 150 grams of protein per day (or 1 gram per pound of lean body mass). That would be 2 scoops of whey protein for breakfast, 7 grams of chicken for lunch and 7 grams of beef for supper. Them thar's big ole chuncks ah meat! Are you really getting that much protein? If not, you could be slowing your metabolism and delaying your weight loss.

Also, you should be able to eat 3400 calories per day and maintain your weight. At 2900 calories, you should loose about 1 pound per week or more. I say more, because at your bodyweight, you have a lot of muscle and a fast metabolism (I'm sure it doesn't seem that way right now). If you cut your calories to 1900 per day, I'll bet your body will panic and go into starvation mode, so make sure you get somewhere between 1900 and 2900 calories per day and at least 150 grams of protein.

Yvonne326

You are so careful with your diet. Well done. My question for you is, with no nuts, no seeds, no cheese, no bacon, no bars, no shakes and no carbs, how the heck are you getting anywhere close to 1400-1600 calories per day? On Atkins, fats are your friends! To get 1600 calories on low carbs and low fat means you would have to eat, maybe, 250 grams of protein per day (250x4=1,000 calories). This is really, really hard to do without protein shakes (I like Myoplex or make my own using Nitrowhey). Even with shakes at 50 grams per shake, that would be 5 per day or 35 onces of meat! If you really are eating this much, please write back soon, but I'm thinking you are not getting nearly enough calories to create a fast, fat burning metabolism. If you've done the math, please correct me on this.

At 166# and what, 25% bodyfat? you might need 125 grams of protein per day. That's not too tough and could come from, say, one 50 gram shake and two meals with 5 onces of meat (minimum). Your calories to maintain might only need to be 1800 (166x11) so, for you, a pound a week would come at 1300 calories. Please make sure you get at least that much. Because don't have that far to go, you need to be more careful about going too low than Vilicia.

For both, even a LITTLE bit of exercise goes a long way toward improving insulin sensitivity and the bodies ability to handle carbs. Even 5 minutes a day with some exercise tubes or fairly low weights will really, really help you. And I do mean 5 minutes per day. I brought my morning glucose down from 115 to 95 with a total of 18 repetitions (3 exercises, 6 reps each).

Keep trying. I think you are both doing great. And if you think I'm full of cabbage, feel free to ignore everything I've said.

Very best wishes,