View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: VLC
Stats: 158/150/150 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I do not know why people are focusing on the D3 dosage. Please read carefully. Each time I mention taking 20K IU, it is only for a matter of days. Note the number of days here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID4
I want to point out that 5 days into the flu, I started taking 20000IU of D3 a day, and was normal by the third or fourth day.
Note the bold part below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID4
I started to get 'gung ho' about D3 again earlier this year, and took probably 20000IU a day for a week, then started back on taking 5000IU a day after that ...
I don't see a problem with anything above. I have support from the article below, too. See the quote below. If you want more background on this, you can read the article (here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Miller (full article on lewrockwell.com)
Concerns about vitamin D toxicity are overblown, along with those about sun exposure. As one researcher in the field puts it, "Worrying about vitamin D toxicity is like worrying about drowning when you’re dying of thirst." The LD50 of vitamin D in dogs (the dose that will kill half the animals) is 3,520,000 IU/kilogram. One can take a 10,000 IU vitamin D supplement every day, month after month safely, with no evidence of adverse effect. (Am J Clin Nutr 1999;69:842–856). A person must consume 50,000 IU a day for several months before hypercalcemia (an elevated calcium level in the blood, which is the initial manifestation of vitamin D toxicity) might occur. Vitamin D in a physiologic dose (5,000 IU/day) prevents the build up of calcium in blood vessels. (Circulation 1997;96:1755–1760). If one takes 10,000 IU of vitamin D a day and spends a lot of time in the sun, it would be prudent to check vitamin D blood level to ensure that it does not exceed 100 ng/ml.
Now to your post, KDH...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
A sinus infection is bacterial. Influenza is viral. I'm not sure how the two could be related, unless your weakened immune system allowed the second and completely unrelated sickness in?

Correlation is not causation. I have never broken a bone. Doesn't mean that if I break one next Tuesday, Tuesdays cause broken bones. Do you eat enough fat for your body to use all the D you take? Do you also summlement with k? And honestly, why on earth did you feel it necessary to megadose like that? I'm honestly just curious.
As far as I am concerned, a cold and all its symptoms, are any, all, or a combination of the following: Stuffy or runny nose, sneezing, cough, itchy or sore or irritated throat.

What causes these?

To your 'Tuesday' analogy...If you've never broken a bone, you've lived through hundreds, maybe thousands, of uneventful Tuesdays. To then link a random event (breaking a bone) with a non-random event (a Tuesday) that you've never linked anything else with before, is highly illogical. What would be the link between the two? Even worse to assume that one (Tuesday) causes the other (a bone to break). With no link we can make between the day of the week and a bone breaking, we look ridiculous. If you're going to try to make an analogy of something ridiculous, at least go to the effort of making one up that fits what you are trying to compare it to.

On the other hand, linking non-random events, makes sense.
1-being sleep deprived while supplementing D3 and
2-experiencing cold and/or flu symptoms after-the-fact

It makes even more sense when they happen together more than once, in the same order, which is what I've laid out here. So there is more to the correlation. If you were trying to suggest the association I made between taking D3 and getting sick was illogical, you need proof. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were indeed curious.

There is a cause-effect relationship, and no, there may not be any proof, but if you get the tone of my post, I think you can see I'm putting out my experience and asking everyone else for their thoughts/feedback. I'm not going on a rant about how D3 is harmful or claiming that I have special biology or whatever.

So maybe you can tell me what causes 'common cold' symptoms if you don't think the 'cold' and the flu are related. And we can just drop the 'sinus infection' name because it's not important. I wrote 'sinus infection' but meant the list of symptoms above. So to you, KDH...
1-What causes a 'common cold?' Is it the same as what causes the flu?
2-Why does K supplementation matter?
3-Why does fat content matter?
I actually was on a fairly high fat diet the third time I got sick.

Dr. Miller also has other information about D3 in this article about the flu.

If you don't agree with my link between taking D3 and being sick, well, please add some proof to the mix or point out a flaw in any logic I used. Otherwise hopefully we are all on the same page. If you disagree with my methods, now you have a source. Dr. Miller also cites sources so you can look at those as well.