View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 14:42

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

I prefer to take vit D3 early in the morning as it can wake you up.

I take B vitamins with food as they give me stomach ache otherwise.

I religiously avoid taking magnesium glycinate or Mg citrate with food. As magnesium is alkaline, it will lessen the acidity of your stomach acid, making it more difficult for you to digest your food - and, also, to absorb any magnesium in the food you're eating, as apparently you need a good amount of stomach acid to absorb magnesium.

The exception to this rule, apparently, is Mg chloride, which can be taken directly before meals and will then break down and help create hydrochloric acid.

I often take taurine and/or a tablet of HCI (hydrochloric acid) with a tablet of Mg glycinate, but always between meals.

I usually take some Mg last thing at night to keep cramps and jaw clamping at bay. It is a muscle relaxant, so it usually helps to stop me clamping my jaw.

However, one time recently, it had the opposite effect and made me totally wired. I thought I had run out of Mg completely (I hadn't, but I had forgotten to check my stash), then finally got some after not taking it for a day or two. I took some at night and couldn't get to sleep for ages!!! I was totally awake!!!

Therefore, it seems that it is best to experiment yourself with the timing of your magnesium dose. If you find it keeps you awake, don't take it at night. If it helps keeps cramps away and helps you sleep - which in my case it nearly always does - then take it at night. There isn't a one-size-fits-all with magnesium.

Hope this helps.

amanda