#9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 01:07

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
I am also trying to move towards a raw foods diet. I am not in anyway opposed to eating raw egg yolks and sometimes beef tartare and sushi (kind of expensive though.) Right now I make eggnog with coconut milk and 3-4 egg yolks blended with vanilla bean and sometimes a tiny dab of raw honey. YUMMMMMMY

Also I am making macadamia nut whipped cream and fake nut meatballs which are really good!

A decent book for some low carb raw ideas is Gabriel Cousins' Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine. He seems to think that when you transition to a raw food diet you should start out eating only low carb stuff like greens, low carb veggies, coconuts and nuts. He breaks his diet down into 3 stages and each stage allows slightly carbier food. The only thing is that he is vegan and I don't really think that is the healthiest so I will keep adding egg yolks and other tolerable raw animal foods.

I agree with you 100%; I have lost 59 pounds on a mostly raw food diet that includes some raw fish occasionally. Not only that, but like Vivid Lily (who set me on the path to raw - thanks Suzy!) My insulin use has been drastically reduced - I use it only when I want to eat berries or an apple.

Cooking food drastically reduces most of the vitamin and enzyme content although cooking certain foods, such as tomatoes, actually does make improve the biovailability of some nutrients - so I still steam some veggies from time to time.

Read Dr Cousens' book as recommended, but also check out the Complete Idiots Guide To Eating Raw - lots of great advice for the newbie and lots of easy recipes that are less complicated than those in Rainbow Green with ingredients found in the supermarket. For those of us in northern climates, this is better.

good luck and contact me if you have any questions.