#27   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 09:14

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoseyMan
I found a home remedy that works for itching and dandruff. Some people build up a sensitivity to all the chemicals they put in dyes, perms, shampoo, hairsprays and face creams; this works for those types of people.

mix: (estimate really - my DW just dumps a bit in a small 4 oz bottle)

baby shampoo - 4 oz
tsp to a tbsp of jojobo oil
tsp to a tbsp of tea tree oil

Shake before each use. Shampoo thoroughly, let on 5 minutes. Keep out of eyes because of the tree oil. No conditioners, hairspray, or other stuff. The jojobo oil is the conditioner, it may take a few days to notice it though. Most flakes disapear in 3 days and if used everyday they are not noticeable and it does help with itching. Use everday.

The tea tree oil should be from the Melaleuca alternifolia tree and should have less than 3% cineole. (There are some bad tea tree oils on the market.) Tree oil shampoos do not have enough tree oil in them to help.

She had the eyebrow scale, ear scale, scale everywhere. She stopped using cleansers and moisterizes on her face and let it be dry - her worst fear. (she just scrubs with a wet washcloth and no cleanser - once a week she uses a little dab of tree oil on the cloth) All the scale went away. It made me wonder if all the creams and lotions are actually causing the problem. Her skin is not dry anymore.

Moseyman - Wow! That's great! As for the "creams and lotions", have you ever read the list of ingredients - Yikes! Chemical after chemical after chemical! Sheesh!

I DO have some Tea tree oil - nasty-smellin' stuff! - but I have no clue as to where to get the jojoba oil - any suggestions? We also keep baby shampoo on-hand 'cuz we watch our 19-month-old GD four nights a week and she has this "thing" about rubbing ketchup in her hair! Anyway, my youngest son (15) has been trying the coconut oil on his scalp off and on for awhile now but, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be helping much - he's not as itchy but, then again, he doesn't have the thick white patches on his scalp either, just irritated areas. So maybe trying your wife's "recipe" might be helpful for him!

Demi - Glad to hear that it (the coconut oil) IS helping w/ the flaking and itching! Moseyman above also seems to have something worth trying!

2brickie - How's your dgtr's scalp doing?