Thread: low-carb books
View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 09:47

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I know you don't need this advice, but for anybody who hasn't read it my first suggestion is still Atkins. He was talking about benign dietary ketosis before the term nutritional ketosis was coined by Phinney and Volek. The whole program was intended to be ketogenic at least through weight loss. I didn't find I could climb the carb ladder at all. People might not like the urine strips, but for people with blood ketone monitors who want a certain level of ketosis, I think it makes a lot of sense to start with induction, or if you like even a more ketogenic diet like the 4:1, and then intentionally creep up and see what it takes to stay around where you want to be.

Also Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He doesn't intend it to be ketogenic, but for non-diabetics who don't inject insulin, it's liable to be. I think the fairly strict structure of his program is a good starting point for people who need really consistent ketosis for one reason or another. Also his 7 grams of protein per ounce of meat rule, combined with knowing some very low carb vegetable sources with a gram per ounce or two grams per ounce, and then how many ounces (or fractions of ounces) of fat need to be added to round out a meal makes things easier for stricter keto diets without having to resort to fitday before adding each ingredient.