Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Drank only Soylent for 2 Years, got sent to the ER
https://www.reddit.com/r/soylent/co...sent_to_the_er/

My sister has had kidney stones - she might have been in her 30's when it happened. She's in her 60's now, and I can't imagine she's ever even tried soylent. (I mean she would have been well into her 50's by the time it was first made)

She was on soy formula as an infant - too long ago to consider that might have caused her kidney stones 30 years later.

When she had the kidney stones, the Dr told her that "This is kidney stone country" - meaning that the area where she lives has so much lime in the water that it forms stones. The lime builds up in pipes around there, and she's drank well water her entire life.

The Dr told her that she ended up with kidney stones because she wasn't drinking enough water though - this was back before everyone had water bottles, so he told her that she was never to walk by a water fountain without taking a drink.

There was no mention of oxalate consumption as being the problem in her case.

She and her DH do grow a garden, and freeze a lot of vegetables from the garden, but it's mostly things like peas, green beans, corn, and squash, which means blanching them (boiling briefly to stop enzyme action in the vegetables which prevents deterioration while frozen), so based on what this bit from Pub Med says, that probably helps to reduce the oxalate content at least somewhat:

Quote:
Approximately 75% of all kidney stones are composed primarily of calcium oxalate, and hyperoxaluria is a primary risk factor for this disorder. Nine types of raw and cooked vegetables were analyzed for oxalate using an enzymatic method. There was a high proportion of water-soluble oxalate in most of the tested raw vegetables. Boiling markedly reduced soluble oxalate content by 30-87% and was more effective than steaming (5-53%) and baking (used only for potatoes, no oxalate loss). An assessment of the oxalate content of cooking water used for boiling and steaming revealed an approximately 100% recovery of oxalate losses. The losses of insoluble oxalate during cooking varied greatly, ranging from 0 to 74%. Because soluble sources of oxalate appear to be better absorbed than insoluble sources, employing cooking methods that significantly reduce soluble oxalate may be an effective strategy for decreasing oxaluria in individuals predisposed to the development of kidney stones.

No idea if boiling vegetables would affect your oxalate problem, just thought I'd throw that info out there in case you hadn't seen it before.