#39   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 20:23

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I've been reading about all of the Arctic explorers' land-based excursions, and the journals of the British officers like Franklin express alarm at the uncouth behaviour of the Indians and Inuit when they kill a deer or caribou after several days without food - they dove face first into the stomach contents and ate them raw. Of course this would contain the undigested grass and whatever plants they had eaten, containing Vitamin C. They also report that the voyageurs doing all of the paddling, portaging & heavy loaded work loved to eat fat, even bear fat.

Of course the successful Canadian and British explorers like Stefansson, Rae, Dease were successful because they "went native" and learned how to hunt.

That's another point of contention. I mean, whether it's true or not. One side says they did exactly as reported, while the other side says it's a prank cuz it's literally disgusting, inedible, unpalatable. Imagine throwing up. That's the taste of stomach contents. I'm pretty sure the natives knew what it tastes like, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have liked it either, and I'm also pretty sure they had a good sense of humor. So, is it a prank at the expense of ignorant tourists, is it some invention to support the vitamin C argument? Probably both. Raw meat cures scurvy.