#6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-18, 01:12

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 215/215/160 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Ascorbic acid might be just a "piece" of the vitamin c complex, but it's the part of the complex that's, um, vitamic c. They didn't just willy-nilly pick out a fraction of the complex and declare it to be vitamin c, they did experiments showing that ascorbic acid specifically did prevent/cure scurvy. In a similar manner, "niacin" is just a fraction of the more involved NAD and NADP molecules, but it certainly does resolve pellegra.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...j00519-0122.pdf

This study from the 30's in infants with scurvy using ascorbic acid rather than whole food sources of vitamin c did show that it was effective. The study was unethical, but it did show that ascorbic acid is indeed vitamin c.

I'm so lost. Is the ascorbic acid found in most vitamin c supplements a synthetic form of vitamin c?

I read on the linus pauling institute webpage that synthetic vitamin c does help as well as real vitamin c :

Edit: ok, I went and read the 1935 scurvy study. It sounds like vitamin c is the one vitamin that works better than most as a synthesized form.