View Single Post
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-16, 07:28

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I am finally reading The Obesity Code. I didn't buy it at first because I am so often disappointed in the lc books I decide to buy. They tend to be just the same old same old. Dr Fung's book definitely isn't. He relies on logic and data to dispel the calories in calories out myth (that's as far as I have gotten so far). It is so clear, so well thought out and so well written. It is amazing to me how hard it is to dispel the cico myth. I find that I have to review the evidence that it doesn't work on a regular basis to prevent me from falling into the trap of believing that if I want to lose weight I have to reduce calories. Lately I have been eating a few hundred more calories per day than I used to. I don't weigh every day so when I finally stepped on the scale yesterday I expected to see that I had gained weight. No such thing. My weight remains steady. So much for cico.

In an interview on dietdoctor.com Dr Eades says that evidence doesn't convince people. For lchf to become accepted it needs not the evidence that it works, there's plenty of that already, but a good narrative. He says that he believes that paleo has become so successful because it has a good narrtive to support it, a good story about why it's a healthy way to eat. Certainly low fat had a good hook, eating fat makes you fat and clogs your arteries to boot. I think low carb still has a high hill to climb before it is accepted but Dr Fung has done a masterful job, as far as I can tell at this point in my reading, to at least explain away cico.

Jean