#10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 11:26

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbr1
I have tried various types of low carb/ good carb diets and honestly have trouble staying on the diet due to the limitations in foods. I am wondering if anyone here has tried simply counting protein/ carbs and allowing freedom in food choices, I.e. " carbs are carbs" and as long as I stay under the limit of carbs( as specified by Eades) would I still lose weight??!! For instance potatoes would be nice once in a while. Could I have the potato( or portion of) as long as I stayed within my daily allowance.I suppose this would be similar to the WW point system except I would count carbs from any foods I eat rather than being limited to food lists. I would love to hear your thoughts and/ or experiences with this approach!!!

IIRC, ProteinPower does basically imply that carbs are carbs.

However, it's not true for everyone. I used a glucometer for over a year, testing each and every food that I ate. I learned for example that 20 net carbs worth of strawberries raise my BG, but 20 net carbs of raspberries do not. I also learned that 10 net carbs of tomatoes make my BG skyrocket more than a pint of Haagen-Dazs PB and Chocolate (this data was from before I started low-carbing, obviously).

So there's more going on than merely total carbs, or net carbs.

If you really want to eat as broadly as possible, get yourself a glucometer and test. Assemble a meal of foods that are safe for you (for example, some steak with a pat of herbed butter on it), and then add a variable: some type of berry for dessert, or a salad with a measured amount of tomatoes, for example.

Test blood glucose right before you eat, and 1 hour post-prandial. Then when you repeat that meal of "safe" foods, omit the variable, and test similarly.

During the hour after eating, try not to change behaviors---like don't the first day take a nap but the second day go for a run, or something. That'll skew your results.

Good luck!