View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-01, 11:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Re: Hi, Deb!

Deb, Yup, I'm a diabetic. I found Dr B's Diabetes Solution on the web, went out 3 days later to buy my own copy along with Dr A's New Diet Revolution. Dr A explains the low carb WOE much better IMHO, but Diabetes Solution is invaluable in understanding diabetes & related health issues. Diabetes abounds on the paternal side of my family.

In Dec 2000 I faced head-on the fact that I'm morbidly obese, diabetic, have shortened life expectancy, multiple health problems, etc. This was hugely difficult. (Pun intended, bad I know). Some tough soul searching: Do I carry on as I am, getting bigger than the proverbial barn and forget about buying RRSP's because I won't live long enough to need them? Or find a way to lose weight, get healthy & enjoy my life? I've dieted B4 (haven't we all) and the old WW model/exchange diets didn't work too well in the short term. Long term, regain of lost weight, plus more was depressing.

Why even bother? Being hungry ALL the time just isn't an option for me... the sense of deprivation & urge to eat & binge is too strong. I began to seriously investigate various weight loss surgery options and started a dialog with my GP about WLS, which she doesn't recommend. For 2 months I believed that WLS was my only hope to achieve a healthy weight.

In the course of my investigations, I stumbled upon Dr B's site & here I am, a big loser of 31 lbs! Thank God I found Dr Bernstein's book. (I mean that sincerely). WLS is so drastic and I'm glad I found an alternative that works for me.
My blood glucose levels are the same now as before LC, when I took 5mg glyburide daily. No more glyburide for me!

Ruth, a happy low carber