#306   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 10:25

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
So while his protein recommendations are higher than the RDA, he doesn't make the claim that nobody will be okay at less than that three meals a day, 30 grams per meal that he mentions whenever he's interviewed--as is done with the RDA itself, it's a recommendation supposed to ensure that those with the highest requirement are getting enough.

I've tried in the past to shove large amounts of protein into my muscle by sheer force of will. Lifting weights works better.
It's clear from all the N=1 experiences I've read of people on low-carb diets that there's quite a range where people will be healthy. But I also really appreciate Dr. Layman's work, because I find that I naturally settle down somewhere close to his recommendation. I came to low carb by reading the Drs. Eades work (Protein Power) and upped my protein to around 80g-90g/day years ago when I started following their plan. Lately, I've been tracking everything I eat, but don't limit it and find that I'm somewhere between 80g and 100g almost every day, typically pretty close to 90g. My 90g/day is way under what Layman thinks is "high protein" (he thinks of that as over 175g or so).

I'd been really frustrated recently with all the "keto" style recommendations to keep protein low. I really respect Jason Fung and was shocked to hear him say he thought the RDA was more than adequate. I really didn't know what to make of that. I was starting to worry I was doing something wrong. But after watching a presentation by Dr. Layman and reading some NIH studies showing that adults over 50 probably need 25% more protein than the RDA to prevent sarcopenia, I decided to keep on doing what I'm doing. I also read Amy Berger's blog on how people need to stop freaking out about whether protein turns to glucose--it will, but only on demand, if the body needs glucose, not just for funsies.

I don't have the greatest satiety signals, but my body will tell me when it's done with protein. I've gone as high as 120g-130g and the next day the idea of protein kind-of grosses me out. Under 80g or so for several days in a row and I start to crave big piles of meat.