Thread: Zero Carb, wow!
View Single Post
  #304   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 05:28

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I respect Dr. Longo when it comes to the modified fast--what he actually studies. When it comes to what the ongoing diet should be, most of the time, when people are not fasting, it's a bit different. Layman criticizes Longo for a study in the realm of epidemiology, with one-day food recall, etc. Mentions people supposedly eating 40 grams of protein a day... lots of people in the research community give epidemiology more credit than I think it deserves, but that doesn't mean they can't do a good double-blinded intervention study. It might inspire them to interpret the results of their intervention somewhat differently, perhaps wrongly, but if they accurately report the actual results of the intervention, some speculation in the discussion section of the study can maybe be forgiven.

I feel like I'm an exception to Layman's advice for protein intake--but reading this today;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5278948/

I find statements like;

Quote:
The meal threshold for protein to induce muscle protein synthesis is influenced by physical activity and age of the subjects. Acknowledging inherent risks for comparing dietary treatments across studies, the optimum meal threshold for older sedentary adults appears to be >25 g protein (43–45), whereas healthy, young, active men respond to meals with 15 g protein (63). Furthermore, exercise enhances the protein synthesis response in older adults (44, 45) and appears to reduce the minimum meal threshold (45).

So while his protein recommendations are higher than the RDA, he doesn't make the claim that nobody will be okay at less than that three meals a day, 30 grams per meal that he mentions whenever he's interviewed--as is done with the RDA itself, it's a recommendation supposed to ensure that those with the highest requirement are getting enough.

I've tried in the past to shove large amounts of protein into my muscle by sheer force of will. Lifting weights works better.