View Single Post
  #42   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 14:16

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I agree... buy the cuts that no one else wants or knows what to do with, and then USE every bit of it, and you're much more likely to be able to keep meat on the table even in times of scarcity.

Our local grocery store is now limiting fresh meat purchases to no more than 5 "items" per trip and their online shopping site no longer shows larger packages of most kinds of meat. Eg., No more 5 or 10 lb chubbs of hamburger, just 1 lb and 3 lb packages. No more 20 lb turkeys. No more 20 lb briskets. 12 oz and 16oz pkgs of bacon only. They are still listing full hams but that is about it for any meat in amounts greater than 3 lbs.

Fortunately, at this point my freezer is packed pretty full. I'll probably continue to purchase smaller amounts of meat as we eat what we have, to try and keep the freezer full against even more severe shortages that, I suspect, are coming down the pike.

I've always bought cheaper cuts of meat in large sizes then cut them up into smaller chunks before freezing so had a nearly full freezer before any of this started.

I haven't been deliberately rendering the fat tho, or making cracklings. And, while I make bone broth sometimes, I haven't always been consistent about doing so... was often easier to just buy a box of bone broth when I wanted some. Will have to start making SURE that I get maximum value out of every bit of the meat I have.