View Single Post
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-16, 14:37

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I noticed some neuropathy when I was first diagnosed with diabetes and subsequently reduced my blood sugar dramatically, which went away.

Then a year after chemo, I had it again only much worse. I didn't know it was neuropathy because it was different and it was a whole year later, until someone suggested it to me. I found some cancer support boards where people were having some success with Benfotiamine (a specific form of B1) and alpha lipoic acid.

Quote:
Benfotiamine is a lipid-soluble synthetic derivative of thiamin (vitamin B1). Compared to thiamin, however, benfotiamine has a higher rate of absorption, increased bioavailability and higher retention rates.5,7 Benfotiamine can inhibit the formation of AGEs by increasing transketolase activity in glucose metabolism.5,7 Because AGEs are suspected in many deleterious effects at the tissue and cellular level when specific receptors are activated,5 benfotiamine has been researched. In a study of 165 patients, 600 mg of benfotiamine (200 mg three times per day) showed improvement in pain symptoms8 similar to a preceding pilot study.9 Another study showed improved vibration sensation and reduced neuropathic pain after 6 weeks.10

Benfotiamine does not seem to affect glycemic control,8 and no toxicity has been reported.7 http://nurse-practitioners-and-phys...Neuropathy.aspx

In the research I did then, I concluded that dosage matters and started with 1200 mg a day. I subsequently found 1000 mg to be as effective and cut it to that to save a little money.

I took either Doctor's Best brand or Life Extension and 600mg of alpha lipoic acid also twice a day. It worked quick, within a few days. I went off it periodically and had the pain back when I did, until the last time, which was about a year later.

I still take the ALA for diabetes.

I've been having cold feet lately and some other tingling and pain. My diet is up and down in terms of carb restraint, but I'm losing weight, and I'm walking more so it doesn't quite make sense to me. If it gets worse, I'll try the Benfotiamine again.

I read the book Sugar Crush, discussed here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=473717 Some detailed discussion in the book from the podiatrist author about exactly how and why sugar "crushes" nerves.