Old Tue, Nov-14-00, 00:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Unhappy

Hi Rachel,

Yes, I have suffered from S.A.D. for 8 years - at least that's when it was officially diagnosed, I've probably had it longer, like since my teens! I won't go into all the details; I'm sure you know them all too well already.

Don't discount phototherapy (the light box). I dug mine out and have been using it every morning since we went back to Daylight Saving Time. They're not all big ugly boxes; mine is a table lamp style (well ok, it IS ugly) but very compact and portable, so it's easy to hide out of site when company drops over. I hate people asking "what's that?" and having to go into a big spiel they don't really want to listen to. Funny thing, even my cats are attracted to it, and immediately come over to it as soon as I turn it on it's as if they "know". And it really does help A LOT!

How does it help? Melatonin is a neurohormone produced in the pineal gland, this little part of the brain the size of a pea that sits behind the eyeballs. When it gets dark out, the pineal gland starts pumping out the melatonin to help signal the brain it's time for sleep. You've probably heard of melatonin being used as a sleep-aid for shiftworkers and for jet-lag. Anyway, daylight entering the eye signals that it's morning, time to turn OFF the melatonin production and wake up brain. For most people this system works without a hitch. For some of us, our pineal glands just go into overdrive, and the gland seems to be stuck on ON. Phototherapy works by stimulating the pineal to shut off. The light must enter through the eye, although I have read reports that results have been achieved by the light being absorbed throught the skin. Anyway, it is specifically the green and blue wavelengths of sunlight that do the trick. The cool colours. Some charlatans, and others who DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT will try to tell you to use full-spectrum lights, or sun-lamp/tanning bed type lights. That's false. These light sources are high in ultra-violet light emissions and are not safe (for treatment of SAD). Home-made light boxes may not be safe for this same reason. You need to use cool flourescent light, in enough intensity to emulate natural sunlight, and a refractive surface to diffuse any ultra-violet light. I sit beside my lamp for 30 minutes in the morning while I have coffee and read the paper or a magazine. It's not a big deal.

How high protein/ low carb diets help is that protein stimulates another pair of neurohormones, dopamine and norepinephrine. These hormones are involved in your alert and awake functioning. Highcarb, and yo-yoing blood sugar causes the brain to absorb more serotonin, yet another neurohormone, which helps to calm, relax and sleep. Too much serotonin and you're depressed and lethargic.

Note: neurohormones are sometimes also called neurotransmitters. Same thing.

Hope I haven't thoroughly confused you. I'll try to find some good sites on the web. Did you try Psychology Today? A good book is "Don't be SAD" by Celeste Peters. Someone borrowed my copy and I've not seen it since! It's published in Canada, from U of Alberta, I think. Explains the different types of phototherapy, and suggests some diets. There are also chapters on SUMMER SAD which some also get.

Sorry you have this, but glad to know you're here! At least someone will understand me come January!!

'bye Doreen