Old Fri, Sep-15-17, 10:28

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPansy
Hi Verbena

Thank you for responding and for all that helpful information. Do you live in the UK? I'm only asking as where we shop we rarely see coconuts for sale in their fruit form and if we do; they again are fairly expensive. I can't imagine getting much flour from the single nuts I have seen for sale.

Hi BigPansy. No I'm not in the UK, but have spent some time there over the years. I wasn't meaning for you to start with a fresh coconut, but rather unsweetened desiccated (I think you call it that in England?) coconut. I'm not absolutely certain, but I can well imagine you will find this at Indian markets; that's where I get mine here in Oregon. It is my understanding that Indians and southeast Asians living in the more northern latitudes often use the desiccated coconut in their cooking, rather than fresh. Also, most LC recipes calling for coconut flour do not need a lot. Coconut flour soaks up liquid, so using much of it makes things dry. Often it is mixed with other LC flours, like almond. You will need to research it; all of the LC flour options have their own attributes, and none can be substituted one to one for wheat flour. I don't do much LC baking so I can't offer you any specific recipes.