View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 09:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Many years ago I bought a bottle of liquid lecithin to make home-made nonstick oil to brush on baking pans. I'd read instructions in "Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book" .. wanted to avoid using hydrogenated vegetable shortening full of transfats.

What a disaster!

Liquid lecithin is very thick and sticky, like oily molasses. Or beach tar . Because it's oily, it's very difficult to wash off anything .. measuring spoons, accidental spills, your skin .. and it stains. Bright yellow.

I've since had success using the dry granules as an emulsifier for salad dressings to prevent the oil & vinegar from separating, You need to use a blender or stick-blender to make sure it's completely dissolved. Fresh lecithin granules have a mild "buttery" taste, and can be sprinkled as is on salads, yogurt, cereal (if you eat it ). Lecithin is a good source of choline, an important nutrient for liver/digestive and nerve health.

Here's and old discussion on our forum .. Liquid lecithin vs. granules .. although it doesn't really offer any tips on substituting one for the other.

What's the recipe you're trying to make? It's possible the granules will work just fine, with a few adjustments. For example, the liquid has a higher fat content so that might make a difference. You'd probably want to go by weight rather than spoon measure, as the granules are "lighter" than the liquid (ie, a teaspoon of granules will weigh less than a teaspoon of liquid because it's less dense )

This site has a little more science-y information about lecithin, as well as several recipes for making foams and emulsions .. http://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/tags/Soy-Lecithin

hope that helps

Doreen