View Single Post
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 09:25

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I haven't read Dr Hyman's new book, but read his older one. As I recall, he wanted you to eat Low Carb, but did not push the idea of nutritional ketosis. I think it is when you get carbs so low that you expect continuous ketosis (especially if you are tracking it with blood ketone testing and are looking for certain results) that "excess" protein becomes an issue.

I started eating LC with a Real Foods version of South Beach Diet, which included eating lean meats to satiety. It got me off to a great start. Later (with Atkins) I found I could eek off a few more lbs by lowering carbs further and by lowering protein, but my health benefits and major weight loss (still off) came in those first couple months of 2004 when I started the SBD.

There are so many ways to eat Low Carb and they are all a major improvement over SAD. Why not experiment to find the best fit and/or change programs within the various approaches to LCHF from time to time to find the one that is the best fit for you in terms results AND ease of compliance?

I'm about halfway through Dr Fung's new book - have not read the part about protein yet, but if I see any new clarifications, will post here.