View Single Post
  #243   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-22, 10:29

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

JEY: "Exactly my goal of 145 g for the day, under 1200 calories."

Total calories are part of your goal? That raises a question I've been wondering - if there is a "too low" calorie amount to Dr. Naiman's plan. And how much they count in total.

I just read through this whole thread and I have watched/listened to quite a few of his podcasts and videos, as well as any print interviews - concentrating on those from within the last year as I know he's made some revisions.

The only thing I've made note of regarding calories was this:

Quote:
Fat is essential, and Carbs are not. If you eat a zero-Fat diet you will literally die. And even a Low-Fat diet, with Fat less than around 30% of calories, will very likely lead to problems (low testosterone, gallstones, etc.).

The requirement for Carbs in the human diet, on the other hand, is exactly zero. So, I am sick and tired of Fat being punished by the entire calorie concept. Calories are broken anyway, because PROTEIN calories don’t seem to count, and we should only be worrying about NON-PROTEIN ENERGY calories in any case. So, using calories feels like a big step backwards. Another reason is that Carbs are massively overeaten in our modern society. Sure, Fat has twice as many calories per gram, but the average American is eating THREE times as many Carb grams as they are Fat grams.

https://www.ketogains.com/2020/01/thepedietbook/

That suggests to me that total calories don't count for much if you are prioritizing protein. (And yes, I understand that he often uses "energy density" instead of calories.)

But, I'm curious about this concept as I belong to a weight loss club (in the real world) and am in charge of informational "programs" as part of our meetings. We're all a bunch of old ladies and on different plans, but they are inveterate calorie counters no matter what their plan. (Including the Keto dieter.) I made a pitch to them about eating more protein but not sure how much of an impact it had.

In one of Dr. Naiman's podcasts, the interviewer asked him what he tells a partient when they first walk into his office if they're over fat. And he said, "Add a chicken breast to your daily diet". I explained who Dr. Naiman is and recited that bit of advice to my club. Nobody there said it, but I know they were thinking "Add more calories?"