View Single Post
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 15:10

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Oh no Bat, that coconut butter idea is dangerous! I happen to have half a jar of it sitting in my pantry...

<insert gloating maniacal laugh here>

Quote:
Sounds very dangerous indeed! How many oz in one of those jars of cocoa butter?

Not cocoa butter, coconut butter. Both tasty but very different.

My jar is 16oz and seems to be 1 carb per T after fiber is subtracted. Even with the added chocolate I never notice any effect on my blood sugar and I'm pretty sensitive.

I'm ordering some Walden Farms blueberry spread and some cocoa butter. I'm going to experiment with mixing that and adding it to the coconut instead of chocolate.

Quote:
Anybody have a tried and true recipe with chewy gooiness?

Not quite gooey, but I've gotten the best texture match out of the coconut-almond cookie recipe already posted. All of my non-paleo friends adore those cookies.

I have noticed that if I bake them in muffin tins with butter instead of lard, I get a much denser result. I made a batch with maple sugar and butter with dried blueberries and they had the best chewy texture I've gotten out of anything so far. Adding xanthan might help too. I haven't been concentrating on that texture so I haven't taken my experiments in that direction. Worth giving a try. Even if they don't come out how you like, they'll still be tasty.

The 'frosting' texture is perfect if you miss things like fudge. It has just the right tooth scraping chew to it.