#8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-19, 16:44

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
I did a 3 day hike in 2017 on the Kepler Track in Fiordland National Park here in New Zealand, covering about 50km/30mi in that time.

The food I took with me was mostly low carb: I took half a dozen eggs, some sausages, a can of vege soup, prepared some bunless burgers in advance and a couple of wraps (the exception), as well as a pair of bags of grated cheese and macadamia nuts for nibbling on, as an alternative to the usual scroggin-type mixes.

Contrary to some expectations going in with regard to the food, everything went fine. In fact, the vege soup was never needed at all and I only got halfway through one of the bags of cheese and nuts. The thing that stood out to me was not so much how hungry I was but how thirsty I was, but there was never any shortage of waterways through the forest from which we could refill our bottles.

I can understand the reasoning for mixing the food up a bit for something like this, though. When I travelled to the States in late 2016, it was pretty much a case of managing as best I could with whatever options were available, with a few more choices that one could consider to be outright deviations. It's kind of a one-off experience that you don't want to have impacted too much by a LC WOE, so I get that.

But as soon as I was back home, it was straight back to the regular eating routine again. I think that's the most important thing with these kinds of situations, that they remain one-offs, and that when you're at home etc just living your daily routine, you're still making LC part of that regular daily routine.

Carry on.

It is kinda funny, but my son and I always carry way more food then we will ever eat. After busting ass all day you really are not that hungry...thirsty yes, but only moderately hungry. We packed food for 3 days, probably could have lived well off the food for 5 days, and knocked out the hike in 2 days. We carried out probably 2/3 of the food we packed in. The extra weight was all good, as it worked the legs more

(I would love to see New Zealand some day)