Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 07:24
Rock, Ya'll

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/273/178 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

testing.. testing...

Is this thing on?

I noticed that the post before cbcb was a bit dated. I thought nevertheless that I'd ring a bell here and add something you may like. In essence it's "How To Become Your Own Thermogenic."

A bit of background....

As you may know the Yogis of Tibet are a bit different from the Yogis of India in that their contortions are ones of the mind. Also, living in the isolated mountains of the Himalayas they faced great odds with regard to cold. There's very little fuel there to burn for heat and even with a fire burning in that environment a fire will only go so far with regard to providing body warmth.

As a result, the Yogis of Tibet developed their own method for generating body heat. It is said that an accomplished Tibetan Yogi would be so good at this that sitting down in in a pile of snow and going into this trance he would melt the snow around him for several feet.

How do they do it?

Well, for centuries the techniques used by the Tibetan Yogi were considered secret. However, with China now having taken over Tibet and their cultural tradions a bit in danger they are now relasing some of the information. Moreover, the technique used for increasing body heat is detailed in this video..

Film Review - The Yogis of Tibet

If I may also add, Garchen Rinpoche, who is the one who demonstrates the technique in the documentary (although he doesn't speak English) is also the one who gave me my vows as a Buddhist, and also my second name - Konchok Samten.

-------------

Anyway - the technique is simple in terms of the mechanics of it. I guess though the word 'simple' is a bit misleading. Like reaching 'no mind' or the state of emptiness it takes a lot of practice. Again, the Yogis spend years in isolation developing their mind and medatative skills so we can't expect the same result. We can, however, know today the fundamentals of how they do it.

------

Thermogenic Meditation

First, do whatever it is that you do to calm your mind. I'll give you a few things that I do, but again to each his own.

The right way is the way that works best for you.

1)
Make sure your mediatation area is your special place just for that. Also, do not make it your bed unless it happens to be a brand new one and you are the only one who sleeps there.

Most find this easiest to do if done early in the morning, but any time of day is okay.

2)
Get everything perfectly quiet. We don't want any background tapes playing - no music or anything like that. Dim the lights if you can. Sit upright in a comfortable posture with your spine straight but not rigid. Make sure your hands are relaxed. Sitting on the floor atop a large (high and firm) cushion works best for me. Sitting directly on the floor will produce fatigue rather quickly.

3)
If you are spiritual or religious it helps now to make an offering. If you happen to be athiest, however, you can still do the same thing. Just envison your offering going to 'the truth.' I like to light a candle. My offering is usually several very small cups of water that I've perfumed. I light some incense. I also offer a flower picked from the yard but a blade of grass will do.

Money has very little to do with the value of our offering. What is valuable is the sincerity in which it's given. Do not do it for your benefit but for the benefit of another. Try to be completly altruistic.

Dedicate any merit you might receive from making an offering to the benefit of others.

Envisoin that the offering has been received with with great joy. We're developing humility here as well as compassion.

4)
As you sit there in the quietness then just calm your mind. No matter what happens to be going on in the day just remind yourself that this is your free time from worry or stress. We can come back to the troubles of the day later. For now we're going take a break.

5)
Next, let's get in touch with whatever emotions happen to be there. Emotions are just like people. They will leave you alone for a while if you ask them but they do want to be recognized for being there.

I should add also that suppressing our emotions makes us sick which is why this is such a healthy part of the exercise. If we supress an emotion even if we are not aware of it at the time the emotion will be fighting back for recognition. Again, that's one of the primary things that makes us ill - both mentally and physically. This is our time to recognize them then -whatever they may be.

With your mind calm and at peace just ask to yourself, "Okay gang, who's there?"

Let each emotion rise one at a time - whatever it may be. Realize that there is no such thing as a 'wrong emotion' or a bad emotion. An emotion just is. Recognize it then - whatever it may be. Tell it that you understand it's there. Then gently remind it that for just a moment this is going to be your time. We're not in any rush. Let it know that you'll be back after a while - then let it fade away.

If it does resurface just ask it.. "Is there someting else you want to say." More often than not it won't be much if anything. Just recognize it again then let it fade back away. It will let you have a moment of peace after a while as long as it knows it's been recognized.

6)
Start focusing on the breath coming out of your nose. Feel it not just through the passages of your nose but on the inner,outter tip of your nose. Watch the breath leve you then come back - traveling out then in. See your breath - it flows back out - then comes back in. Keep your back straight and relaxed.

7)
Focus on your forehead. With your eyes closed or slightly closed look up to the center between your your eyebrows then just above that. Continue relaxing. Don't try to "Seek" anything - just let it come and go be what it may be. We're not trying to visualize here we're just letting what happens happen as we focus on our forehead. Find the energy there. Feel it. Become aware of that energy. Center in it.

8)
After doing this for a while you may start to experience gaps in between your thinking. It's akin to almost falling asleep. What we want to do is extend that time when there is no thought. When a new thought or an old one rearises just relax with it and let it go. This is what we're looking for.

Once you get into it it's kind of like riding a bicycle. You'll look up and all of a sudden 'you'll be doing it.' - (i.e. extending those moments where you are in no thought. Feel peace and continue to relax.

9)
Enjoy your self for a while now. It may help even if your eyes are completely closed try to find one small point in the darkeness and focus on it. Watch the space in between thoughts. You're doing it just like riding a bike. It comes naturally. Just let it be.

10)
After you've enjoyed the peace for however long or short a time you like, you can begin your body heating visualization.

From your solar plexus area picture a red bubble inside you or a red balloon. It's glowing red and filled with air. As you breath in see it beginning to expand. The bubble is filling with air. As it expands it also increases in heat and glow. Feel your body bask in the warmth. When fully inflated you and the bubble exist in unison with one another. If you desire expand the bubble even further - beyond you. While basking in the warmth see it dissolve. Experience the state of 'no sepereatness." Everything is one and the same. Recognize the non-duality. Your moving closer to your essential nature. You are boundless and unlimited by concepts of space. There is no beginning or end here. You recognize that no matter what you do you are always living in an eternal state of "now." Feel your own infinity. This is who you are. .......

Smile..

-------------

Anyway - that's about it. I also want to add one more tip for breathing that you may want to use while you are relaxing your mind.

As you are stitting in the upright position imagine a source of energy at the bottom of your spine or in your erogonous zone if you desire. As you breath in see that energy rise up. As you exhale see it fall back down. Each time you breathe in it rises a little farther up your spinal column. Each time you exhale it goes back down. Continue doing that until the energy reaches the top of your head and all your energy is aligned in the pure white light.

For those of you who are interested in Tantra - yea - that's part of 'playing the inner flute.' It's also a great way to get into a deep medatative state.

Anyway - hope that helps. Good luck to everyone who's added meditation to their program. I think it's a good idea but a good one even if we happen not to be on weight loss.

om mani padme hum