View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 13:06

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default Southwestern Pumpkin Soup

I found this recipe at www.epicurious.com my favorite recipe site (not a LC site but you can find hundreds of things we can eat!) and I made it last night. My fiance said it was almost as good as the 'Soup Nazi's' Sweet potato cashew soup (Seinfeld). (That took me hours to make..this soup took me minutes) He gobbled it up last night and took the leftovers to work for lunch today! I had no coriander, so left it out but will be interested to see what I missed next time I make it.
Here is the excerpt from he site I got it from:

"The Watermark restaurant here in Cleveland is my favorite place to take out-of-town guests—and I find other excuses to go, too," writes Bob Charleton of Cleveland, Ohio. " Last time I went there, I had lunch in the Garden Room, a glassed-in space overlooking the Cuyahoga River. The highlight of the meal was an unusual pumpkin soup topped with cheddar cheese."

Surprisingly easy to make, this soup is flavored with cumin and chili powder.

SOUTHWESTERN PUMPKIN SOUP

3 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
pinch Brown sugar equivalent (I will leave this out next time)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup (packed) grated sharp cheddar cheese
Chopped fresh cilantro

Bring chicken stock and whipping cream to boil in heavy medium pot. Whisk in canned pumpkin, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, coriander and nutmeg. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until soup thickens slightly and flavors blend, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Soup can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cool. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally.) Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with cheddar cheese and cilantro and serve.

Makes 4 (first-course) servings.
Sponsored Links